Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

What a wonderful Mother's Day weekend we had. Mike took me to a Bible book store in Sacramento and let me pick out a Bible. I am so excited! We bought one about 12 years ago that we share. It is a nice Bible, but when we have separate classes at church, one of us doesn't get the Bible. Well, since we moved, I haven't located our Bible. It is really aggravating, because I remember putting it somewhere and thinking "I will be able to get to this right away once we get all settled." Whatever! So, sometime this week, my new Bible will come in. He also let me pick out a case for it. Lauren actually picked it out and it is really pretty. It is brown and pink, with "Believer" across the bottom.

We spent the day Saturday at Discovery Kingdom (a Six Flags park). Lauren earned a free ticket from her Girl Scout Cookie sales, and we got half priced tickets through them. Then, once we were in the park, we upgraded to season passes for $20 each. So, Lauren's season pass only cost us $20. It was really fun and we plan on going back weekend after next. Hopefully, it won't be as crowded. It was Girl Scout Day and it was packed with girls. There were also several bands. Boy, did that bring up memories of High School.

Then, on Sunday, we went to church and then spent the afternoon with our good friends from church, David and Anita. None of us could be with our own mothers, so we just spent it with each other. They are such a blessing to us. They aren't our family by blood, but they are our family by choice. They love us and our kids just as much as we love them and their kids. We are known as Uncle Mike and Auntie Selinda and our kids call them Uncle and Auntie. She is like the big sister I never had, and Mike feels the same about David. They aren't much older than we are, but they are a little older, but seem so much wiser than we are in so many areas.

Lauren and Logan took a little swim in the pool while we ate supper outside. Man, I love the weather out here! Mike and David cooked out on the grill while Anita taught me how to make potato salad. They gave the kids a movie to watch and we all just sat and visited. Good times.

In addition to my new Bible, Lauren got me "Twilight" the movie, which she knew I wanted. She wanted to watch it with me, but I told her I would have to preview it first without her. Well, after viewing it, yeah, well, let's just say she won't be watching it any time soon. I also got the last Pirates movie, but I got it for Christmas, so I will exchange it for something else. Any suggestions?

The evening ended with Mike and me cuddled up on the sofa watching Twilight. It was great. However, when we were about to go to bed, Mike sat down on our bed and I hear this big CRACK and then a Boom. Our bed broke. Yeah, I guess despite it being a really solid bed, being moved 14 times in 15 years has taken its toll.

All in all, it was a wonderful Mother's Day for me. Of course, the best part is actually being able to participate because I am a mom. My children are the greatest blessing God has given me since He gave me Mike. Knowing that God trusts me to raise these two precious souls to be like Him is a huge responsibility and privilege. I hope you had a wonderful mother's day and enjoy the job God has blessed you with as much as I do. I also thank God for the wonderful example that He gave me in my mom. I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment